Sunday, April 7, 2013

{healthy egg salad}

So, as you know, I am doing the 24 day challenge. 

I am L O V I N G being in the kitchen practically 24/7 and creating new recipes. 

Being in the kitchen with a good playlist on Pandora is my happy place! 
I am able to "get lost" in cooking and relax! 

Yesterday, my girlfriends and I took a trip to Knoxville. This would be the first time I would eat out since being on the 24day challenge. Thank god for Zoe's Kitchen! I could get my favorite meal, an egg salad sandwich. After eating there, I knew I could make it even healthier myself at home. 

Here is what I created today. 

Ingredients:
8 eggs
2 T Olive Oil Mayo
Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
1 Lime 
1/3 c purple onion 

Boil 8 eggs
To boil eegs: place 8 eggs in a pot and fill pot with water. Place your pot on the stove and let it boil for apprx. 10 min. After boiling, place a bunch of ice in a colander , put hard boiled eggs on top, and place more ice on top of eggs. Let it stand for like 10 more min. 

While eggs are chilling, chop up about 1/3 c of purple onion. 

Peel eggs and wash off with cold water. 
Take out 4 egg yolks and leave 4 eggs whole. 
Put eggs in glass container or bowl. 
Mash up the eggs really well with a fork. 

Put 2 T of olive oil mayo 
add in 1/3 c purple onion
sprinkle about 1/2 lime worth of  juice over mixture
sprinkle about 1 T Mrs. Dash Southwest Chiptole on top
Mix together

Refrigerate because egg salad is MUCH better cold!


Place on top of a slice of low-sodium Ezekiel bread
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment